Google announced today a new service to add to their service offering. It’s called Google Buzz. Google Buzz is a part of gmail. Basically, friends who you have emailed from your gmail account are automatically added. You can share status updates, just like you do with twitter. This tool will also message out when you upload new content to Picasa, or YouTube. This is basically another micro-blogging site just like twitter, only by default your tweets are private, not openly shared with the rest of the world. I do not believe this to be a Twitter killer. I think twitter has a tight grip on that part of social media, and they aren’t going anywhere. It’s difficult, even for Google, to knock something like Twitter off the map. When a site becomes a part of everyday speech, and people love it, its not going anywhere, unless you have a MAJOR improvement on it.
This is being touted to be Google’s first shot into the Social Media arena. Google is hands down the leader of the pack when it comes to search engines. Man: Honey, how far is San Diego from Tampa? Woman: I don’t know, Google it. Be honest, you know you’ve said it. Google is the best search engines (Aka Marketing Company) on the planet. However, I’m not sure that many die hard twitter users are going to move, but we shall see. Personally, I like to use as many outlets as I can, so I will enjoy using it. Im sure that they will get lots of people using it, but its not going to kill twitter.
I do think that Google Wave is probably 200% more powerful than just Gmail with a twitter like status update. I don’t understand why Google doesn’t just open that bad boy up some more and get more people using it as opposed to Google Buzz. In my opinion they should dedicate more resources to google wave.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Google to Make Its Move on Facebook and Twitter? (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Google to add social networking features to Gmail (newstatesman.com)
- Gmail to get realtime with Web2.0rhea makeover? (go.theregister.com)
- Google making dive into social media? (cnn.com)
- Google set to “make GMail social” with announcement tomorrow (inquisitr.com)
- Coming soon to Gmail — social networking? (network.nationalpost.com)
- HUGE: Google Set to Make Gmail Social With Status Update Features (mashable.com)
- Google Adding Social Feature to Gmail? [Rumors] (lifehacker.com)
- Google Wants To Control All Communication [Google] (gizmodo.com)
- Google readying social updates for Gmail (v3.co.uk)
- Will Google Really Kill Twitter? (twitterrati.com)
- Google Hosting A Special Event On Tuesday (ubergizmo.com)
- Google Search in Gmail Gets Smarter (readwriteweb.com)
- Following Rivals, Gmail Will Add Status Updates (paidcontent.org)